Asahi Shimbun- Asian General Bureau, Bangkok
The Asahi Shimbun, Japan's leading national newspaper, was founded in 1879. It has a circulation of nearly 6 million, and it offers unparalleled coverage of Japan, and world.
We are urgently seeking a talented person to join our Bangkok Bureau as an Assistant Reporter.
- Journalistic news coverage and reporting to assist the Japanese correspondents
- Translating and drafting news reports in English
- Attending press conferences and interviews, and providing simultaneous translation when required
- Thai Nationality with excellent command of English
- Bachelor's Degree or higher in any field
- Ability to work on a deadline
- Willingness to work extra hours, and travel both upcountry and abroad occasionally
- Simultaneous translation skills are a plus
- Journalism experience is a plus, but new graduates are also encouraged to apply
Applicants are invited to send their resume to email@example.com
**only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interview**
Senior Communications Officer - World BankLocation: Yangon, Myanmar
Recruitment Type: Local Hire - 2-year term appointment
Language Requirement: Burmese-Myanmar, English (essential)
Closing Date: January 8, 2018
The World Bank Group's vision is to end extreme poverty by 2030, and promote shared prosperity by fostering the income growth of the bottom 40 percent in every country, in a sustainable manner.
The World Bank office in Yangon is looking for a dynamic, committed and capable individual to work as Senior Communications Officer for Myanmar. Cambodia and Lao PDR. This is a locally- recruited position, based in Yangon, with a 2-year renewable term appointment.
The Senior Communications Officer leads the communications team in the World Bank's Office in Yangon, as well as communications colleagues in Phnom Penh and Vientiane, working under the overall supervision of the East Asia and Pacific (EAP) Regional Communications Manager based in Washington, D.C. The Senior Communications Officer will report daily to the Country Director for Myanmar, Cambodia and Lao PDR and collaborate with colleagues of the Country Management Unit and the whole EAP team.
Summary of Roles and Responsibilities:
• Planning, developing, and implementing effective communication and engagement strategies to raise awareness of and build domestic support for the World Bank Group's program in Myanmar.
• Conceptualizing, preparing, producing and disseminating communication products (e.g., op-eds, speeches, news releases, brochures, Q&As, presentations, briefing notes, online and social media content, etc.) about the WBG and its policies and programs in Myanmar.
• Developing and maintaining relationships a broad range of external stakeholders including media, NGOs, civil society, universities/think tanks, and government.
• Proactively seeking opportunities through media outreach and civil society engagement to improve understanding of WBG activities in Myanmar and the EAP Region, to project and protect the WBG's brand.
• Tracking and analyzing current events, political developments, public opinion and other internal or external developments related to the WBG and its work in Myanmar, utilizing information from traditional and non-traditional sources from both inside and outside the WBG to help assess potential risks that could impact the WBG and to help determine appropriate responses as needed, including the preparation of crisis communication strategies.
• Advising management and project/program teams on trends, news developments, or changing/unexpected circumstances that may impact the WBG and its work, and determines appropriate strategic responses.
• Providing strategic communication guidance to both operational teams and government implementing agencies to support complex or high risk projects or reform programs. These include: review and comment on key documents, capacity building to undertake communication interventions, consultations, and stakeholder engagement activities through lending and non-lending activities (i.e., projects, programs, analytical work, etc.).
• Leading and managing the workflow of the Communications Teams in Myanmar, Cambodia and Lao and mentoring the team members for professional development.
• Overseeing the management of websites, social media and other online communications platforms and outreach channels.
• Supporting the planning and coordination of high-level management visits and other high-profile events--often across multiple teams in different units across the World Bank Group--for press briefings, major conferences and seminars, executive missions and speeches, public or broadcast appearances, and other communications-related activities.
• Master's degree and at least eight years of professional experience, or Bachelor's degree and at least 13 years of professional experience, in a relevant discipline (communications, journalism, economics, finance, business administration, development studies, or international relations).
• At least 5 years of experience in communications and journalism
• Experience in communicating complex technical concepts in a clear, compelling and concise manner and constructing messages that are accessible to a range of audiences.
• Proven writing, editing and speaking skills in English and Myanmar and an ability to convey complex ideas in a clear, direct, and engaging style.
• Solid understanding of the political landscape in Myanmar and different stakeholder groups--including its dynamic civil society landscape--is essential, as well as an established network in Myanmar' civil society, media and the private sector.
• Demonstrated experience leading a multicultural team.
• Capacity to work simultaneously on a variety of issues and tasks independently, adjusting to priorities and achieving results with agreed objectives and deadlines.
• Demonstrated ability to function as a team player, within and across teams, and deliver on complex and sometimes parallel tasks on very tight deadlines.
All applications must be submitted through this website.
The World Bank Group is committed to achieving diversity in terms of gender, nationality, culture and educational background. Individuals with disabilities are equally encouraged to apply. Closing date is January 8, 2018.